Brightening Lives Activity
A Collection Drive to Support the Humanitarian Respite Center in McAllen, TX
Last summer, we created a special Bright Space in McAllen, TX, at the Humanitarian Respite Center (HRC) to help children and their families after they have been released from detention centers at the U.S. border. Families and children at the HRC are in urgent need of our help. Please join with our Foundation and your Bright Horizons employees across the country to support them through a Brightening Lives Activity to supply the HRC with some basic items these families need.
Talk to your RM
- Given the recent politicization of immigration across the southern border, it’s important you and your RM talk about whether this activity is a good fit for your center population and/or client. Participation is totally optional. Before you begin, be sure to let your Regional Manager know if you plan to participate, when you are hosting your drive, and discuss any necessary communications with families or clients.
Decide what to collect
- Pick from this recommended list of the most needed items
Communicate with your staff and families about the drive
- Use this letter template as a guide to communicate with staff and families.
- Use these talking points to talk to your team and this flyer to hang in your staff area.
Two weeks is a generally good length of time for a collection drive, but you are welcome to adjust according to your needs and circumstances.
Set up collection boxes
- Use boxes from center deliveries or order appropriate size boxes on BrightBuy.
- Print this flyer and affix to the front of each collection box.
- Place boxes in a common area easily accessible by your staff and families
Sort Donated Items
- If you collect more than one category of items, each category of donation should be packed in a separate box. This can be done with your staff or as an activity with children.
- Use this label form to write the items collected (for example, backpacks and shoelaces) and add your center name in the “From” section. Include one label for each box.
- Please also count and record the number and type of items you collect and keep in your records.
- Email the Foundation a summary of your drive – what was collected, who participated, etc., to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please use ground/freight options to minimize the cost of shipping, and send to:
Michelle Nunez/Bright Spaces
Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande
Humanitarian Respite Center
700 N. Virgen De San Juan Blvd.
San Juan, TX 78589
You should charge the shipping cost to the Foundation – cost code 0071. Keep your tracking number so you can be sure your package arrives. You do not need to send your tracking number to the Foundation.
Have questions or need support? Contact the Bright Horizons Foundation for Children staff at email@example.com or 617-658-6097.
Need More Help?
The Foundation staff is here to help! Contact us at at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For More Information
- Texas Monthly feature about Humanitarian Respite Center
- Creating a Bright Space at the Texas Border
- Humanitarian Respite Center Website